Wednesday, October 26, 2011

housewife.

Before I got married, while I knew how to cook, I would never do it just for myself. Noodles and butter, chicken nuggets, and popcorn were standard dinners for me. At 6'2 those meals would never cut it for Craig. I try to make meals that we won't mind eating more than once (I am a HUGE believer in leftovers) and that don't require me to spend a lot of time preparing or cleaning up. Here are some of the top rated dinners (yes, I let him rate them every night. I have never gotten below a 7!)


This chicken salad recipe was fantastic. I put carrots instead of water chestnuts because that's what I had in the fridge. One night I wrapped in in Pillsbury crescent dough and popped it in the oven for 15 minutes which was a simple meal. Craig had it on bread and put it on the panini press and I had it with apples one night. We deemed it good enough for company. 


Another great really easy meal.  This burrito is the healthier version of Chiptole and can be customized  to what you rather have. I made an extra and popped it in his lunch. (The boys at lunch have competitions to see who's wife makes the best lunch.... I've bought into it)


We  both love soup and this didn't require cream or butter which was the added bonus. It took no time to make and has plenty of ingredients from your cabinet. I added a little pasta to make it a little heartier so the boy wouldn't starve

The last one is one that my mom and I have come up with and everyone LOVES. Slow cooked country ribs.  
Here how it goes: 
4 lbs of country style pork ribs
1-1.5 jars Korean Barbecue sauce (oriental aisle of grocery store)
1 big onion 
fresh garlic.

Line a 13x9 dish with foil and spray with some cooking spray. (helps with the clean up later) Slice all the onions up and toss in the garlic cloves (I usually use 3) whole. After you rinse the meat arrange it on top and pour the sauce on top. My mom always uses the hot version of the sauce but since I am not huge on spicy food I usually use the regular one. Cover the dish with a double layer of foil.   Pre-heat the oven to 250 F. Put the ribs on the middle rack for 5 hours. You can put it in for 4 hours if you don't want the meat falling off the bones.  Take them out of the oven and let them sit for 15 minutes. Serve with the juices poured on top. Its not hard or expensive to make and its a huge crowd pleaser.

 I put this together after dinner one night and put it in the fridge for the next day, however you can make it and toss it in the oven if you need to.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you!