Wednesday, January 30, 2013

talking interiors: guilty

I am guilty of forever changing my mind of how I want my home to look, feel, and convey about myself. We have not put too much into our house because of moving, deployments, and traveling (and my lack of a full time salary)but some of our bigger items are the ones I regret most. When we were about to get married, I had these dreams of living in the prettiest little house that was decorated to a T. I laugh now because I should have known that it was never going to happen and it will be a process that I will constantly be working on.



 I also am guilty of wanting my house to be so perfect, unique, and "glossy" that I didn't stay true to myself in picking out things. Example: I wanted a different color scheme {than everyone else} so I went with greys, blues, and chanteuse  Yes, they are great colors but not for me. I really love pinks, whites, and blues (blues mostly for husband) and should have made myself happy. Is it the most original color scheme? No. Is it what I love the most and would be happy to have in my house? Yes. I remind myself not to buy what is popular but if it is popular and I love it, then it belongs in my house.

We moved into first apartment and  I wanted to buy, buy, buy. We purchased a coffee table that I like but wasn't exactly what I was looking for in the long run and is taking the room in the wrong direction. Our TV, however,  was on a rickety old table for 6 months until I found the piece I was looking for. That credenza the TV is on now is my favorite piece in the house.

what my house would look like if I wasn't married


My advice to you is when you move into a new house, go through your pinterest board, magazines, etc and take notes on what you really love, like, and hate. You may be having picnic dinners for a few months until you find what you are looking for but it will be worth it in the end!

the coffee table design (via One Kings Lane) my dad and I are going to DIY this weekend. I love that it is sleek without being modern


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i completely understand what you're saying. decorating one's house is a lifelong investment. and i am a firm believer that your home will be that much more meaningful and unique if you only buy what you love {even if it takes years and years to find}. we are in an awkward spot right now knowing we will most likely be relocating in 6-10 months so i am trying my best to hold off from making any new purchases until we get things figured out. looking forward to seeing your DIY!

    Molly {Dreams in HD}
    http://dreamsinhd.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I am guilty of it too and I still don't have my own apartment yet! (one semester left of college and that will change) I often find myself dreaming of what color schemes I'll choose and furniture items I'll splurge on. You have a lovely blog, so glad I found it! I'm now a new follower as well! xox

    Alex
    www.adoredbyalex.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Loving the outfit and LOVE those tips for shopping like a pro!

    Thanks!
    Happy Friday & have a great weekend!
    Shia
    World According to Shia

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you!